Wednesday, March 11, 2009

the appeal of e-Communication

At this moment in time I am wondering - as much as anyone else reading this - "Why am I doing this?" For you this could be a reaction to any array of circumstances... perhaps you have work to do (K) or somewhere important to be. However, personally I'm asking myself this question because I hear it is a good thing to do. Although I have a horrible habbit of conforming to what 'enlightened' individuals consider 'right', I genuinly believe that asking seemingly obvious questions is the sure path to self-improvement. In any case I had to find some kind of motto since "early to bed and early to rise" doesn't resonate to well with my character.

So, I'm asking myself an obvious question and have already wasted a paragraph justifying my self-questioning, here's my best attempt at answering that question. To answer this question I shall explain the title: As my username states, I am a South African, living in South Africa. However at this time, my heart doesn't belong to these shores. 
Firstly I need to explain that I did a student exchange program to Dallas, TX in Aug-Dec 2007 which drasticly changed me. I experienced a country - and more importantly a people - who are welcoming and in another manner highly educated and interesting. In specific I met a girl - or a woman to be more acurate - who controlled a mind and manner that struck me and sent me flying. I'm still flying. She gave me the wings I needed and wanted so badly. The wings to love, trust and think. However, as it stands now, we are seperated by miles and miles of spacial barriers. This blog is half about her but fully inspired by her.
The second explanation necessary to any foreign (non-South African) audience would have to do with the condition of my beautiful country. God and Time have blessed the Southern tip of the African Continent with beautiful landscapes of planes, mountain ranges, forests, deserts and coastline as well as rich mineral deposits. However, I - as a young white male - have grown to a semi-contempt of the current government who have ruled without significant competition since 1994 (the first democratic elected government of South Africa - the African National Congress). This is the second reason for my "heart not belonging to these shores" or my lack of Nationalistic Pride. 

So, if you were determined enough to read this far maybe you'll be interested in what I have to say - whether it be about love, life or the sociology and politics of my little corner of the universe.
Consider this an introduction into my life's influences. Whatever you decide, this is an excercise for me. Not an excercise of publishing my ideas but of exploring them. In any case I hope you might take something constructive from my ramblings. 

1 comment:

  1. god i love your mind, your heart, everything. spatial barriers will crumble under the weight of this. trust me.

    ReplyDelete